Indoor track checklist for trips to meets and what to do when you get there.
Here is a checklist which you may use to prepare for meets. We will be gone for a long period of time because the trips are at least one hour away except for ONU and most meets are big with many competitors.
- Uniform tops and shoes or spikes whichever you use (shorts or leggings are up to you except at state)
- Sweatshirt and pants or something to cover your legs
- blanket or sleeping bag (buses are cold)
- food (some meets have concession stands but the food is poor and expensive.) Please bring something healthy, not potato chips and Cheetos.
- I will provide water to drink. If you want Gatorade or Powerade, you will need to bring it. We will provide a cooler to put lunches/food in and one for water and drinks.
- A bag chair to sit on at camp or some type of easily stored item to sit on at camp.
- Any implements to put in camp box that you may need for your event. (tennis balls, chalk, shots, etc.)
- Please fill out form if you plan or think that you might be going home with a parent.
- Any other item that might be comfortable for you.
- Go to the bathroom immediately upon arrival or before we leave. The lines are extremely long and they normally run out of paper towards the end of the meet due to the number of people and the restrooms not designed to handle the large crowds. (ESPECIALLY ON THE GIRLS SIDE)
Tips for successful indoor meets.
Pay attention to your surroundings. There will be many people crammed into a small space. Check both ways before crossing the track or any area where competition may be going on. Do not take any items with you that could be stolen as you will sometimes have to leave your gear unattended to compete. Headphones and music are okay at camp. Do not take them to competition areas because they will be a distraction and could cause disqualification or injury.
Check (ESPECIALLY AT ONU) both ways and all around before crossing the track or approaching any event areas.
Use the buddy system. Do not go anywhere by yourself. Have a friend either collect or watch your stuff when you are competing.
Clean up the camp area. I will bring a trash bag. Be sure to clean up all trash.
You are representing not only our program, but also our school, community and your family. Act accordingly. Be respectful of officials and opponents and congratulate those as you wish to be congratulated.
IT’S HUGELY ABOUT SPORTSMANSHIP.
WE WANT TO CREATE FANS NOT ENEMIES. FANS ROOT FOR PEOPLE WHO TREAT THEM WELL AND RESPECT THE SPORT. ENEMIES ROOT AGAINST THOSE WHO ARE MEAN AND TREAT OTHERS POORLY.
WHICH ONE ARE YOU? A CREATOR OR A HATER!!!!!!!